Rick Brandt.

Captured on Mackinac, chosen for my fisherman uncle :)
This past Monday, my uncle took his final breath here on earth, after a long, hard-fought battle against cancer.  Ryan and I were able to visit with him a few days prior, and even though he was practically staring death in the face at that point, he still made it a point to let us know he was ready for Heaven.  Even in his final days, his gaze was fixed on Jesus!  I was telling Ryan the other day how cool it is that throughout this battle, Rick's faith became so strong.  Whether he realized it or not, he inspired many.

Even though his faith was inspirational, his death left me feeling kind of frustrated.  I have struggled with understanding the "why" to these trials, even though we will probably not have an answer to the "why's" on this side of eternity.  So the other day, I was just kind of ranting to God, asking Him for some clarity, because I truly believe He's not a mean God who doesn't care.  I believe He weeps with us in our pain and suffering.  I began to read my Bible, and immediately the Lord directed me to Lamentations.  (So appropriate, right??)  First I just read a passage that has helped me before in my own struggles and grief (3:19-26).
19 I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall.  20 I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me.  21 Yet this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope:  22 Because of the Lord's great Love, we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail.  23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  24 I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him."  25 The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him;  26 it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.
Then I sat back, and said to the Lord, I still don't understand, this hurts! Where are you in our pain?

I read onto verses 31-33, "No one is cast off by the Lord…though he allows grief, He WILL show compassion, so great is His unfailing love.  For He does not willingly bring affliction or grief to anyone."

My heart came alive.  It's not just in my head, it's not just my own opinion - God is with us.  Even though our hearts ache, He will show compassion.  He shows concern for our affliction.  He does not bring grief upon us - death and pain are the result of living in a fallen world.  Death and pain, although we would be better off without it, points us to Jesus.  It allows us the opportunity to choose this day whom we will serve.

He will show compassion.
He is with us.
He has never left our side!

No comments:

Post a Comment