![]() |
| Babies! |
So, I mean it when I say, Detroit is a very special place for us!
A LOT has changed in the last few years, with a zillion new restaurants and things to visit - we've had our work cut out for us! Thankfully, our best friends have continued to check out all of the new and cool spots, helping us discover our new favorites. And I just have to say, it is SO incredible to see the new life being breathed into one of my favorite places on earth. I spent so much of my childhood downtown - at the parks, going to ball games, and enjoying some top notch entertainment in some of the most beautiful theaters you'll ever set foot in. To see the revitalization that's happening, and to now become an active part of that...it's just awesome :)
Last week, my mom graciously babysat Ella for a few hours, so we could go out with our friends (THANK YOU, mom!!!). Since Ryan and I still feel so new to the restaurant scene down there, our friends helpfully suggested we all go out and sample some goodies at a spot I'd never even heard of - Wright & Co.
A little bit about the space: Wright & Co. is located at 1500 Woodward Avenue, pretty much in the heart of downtown. We parked in a garage a few blocks away, and walked over. Once inside, you take an elevator to the second floor of the historic building. The elevator doors open, and you're immediately greeted by the restaurant logo, along with a beautiful chandelier. The overall style of the restaurant (formally labeled a gastropub) does an amazing job of preserving the historical aspects of the building, while keeping things fresh and relevant. If you want to read a bit more about the history of the building, click HERE.
We sampled three plates of really yummy food, and tried two desserts! From what I've been told, the menu does change from time to time, which I love, because I think it helps to keep things fresh by offering new dishes. I took a few photos of the food we tried, and will include a brief review of each! The menu was diverse, and reasonably priced, under $20 per plate of food, and everything is plated in a shareable size. I loved ordering a few things for the table to try, and discussing which items we preferred. There was so much more on the menu that I wanted to try; we will definitely be back! (**Also, I did not edit these photos, so forgive me if they aren't top quality. I wanted to showcase the food as accurately as possible, while using an iPhone haha! Also, big shoutout to the most patient friends and husband- they were so hungry and every time something came out, they waited for me to snap a pic or two. Thanks, guys!)
. . .
Fresh Potato Chips
These chips were a.m.a.z.i.n.g! The actual chips were crispy, which I appreciated, as they were accompanied by a really tasty cheddar cheese sauce. They were also topped with bacon, scallions, and a tomato relish. Seriously, I could eat this everyday.
Main Crab Cakes
I loved this take on a crab cake! They were served atop an avocado mousse that was light and creamy, I kind of wanted a bowlful of just the mousse! (These guys were also served with a sweet corn remoulade, which I thought was the perfect accompaniment. It was still refreshing, and added a nice burst of flavor to the dish.)
Crispy Gulf Shrimp
So, I don't know about you, but we really love Chinese food. And while I don't want to give the wrong impression, this shrimp dish reminded me of an elevated sweet and sour type of plate. And when I say elevated, I mean everything was clearly prepared with the freshest ingredients. The shrimp tasted clean (does that make sense?), and was fried, but it wasn't greasy! (Air frying, maybe?). It was served with the most amazing sweet Thai chili sauce that, I kid you not, I could have eaten by the spoonful. SO good!
Strawberry Malt Cake
This was my favorite of the two desserts we tried. It was the kind of dessert you could eat morning, noon, or night. (I was picturing a nice slice of this for breakfast, and it almost made me order one to go so I could try it out, ha!) The cake was so yummy - not crumbly or reminiscent of a stale box mix, with the tastiest strawberry preserves in the middle. (Seriously, can someone hook me up with a jar of that??) The cream was thick and felt like the perfect indulgence. I hope this one stays on the menu for awhile, it's that good.
Butterscotch Pudding
Again, another hit, but not one I'd probably order for myself. Their butterscotch pudding was so yummy!! It was served with whipped cream, nutmeg (loved this with the butterscotch flavor!), and ginger snap cookie crumble. Now, I'm not the kind of person who can handle really sweet desserts. I can take a bite, maybe two, and I'm good. This pudding was that kind of dessert. Super tasty, but very sweet.
. . .
Do you have a favorite downtown spot? I'd love to hear it! Share in the comments below, and I'll put it on our list of places to explore. :)












Go to Greenwich pub rt next door to Wright and literally same space. Sit outside and try their cheeseburger. Amazinggggg. Every picture above looks amazing too. I actually havent been there yet but can't wait. Also be sure to go to la dolce vita, ummm a Vietnamese place for pho in Ferndale, blanking on the name and their crispy pork chops plus the bar side for meatballs at crispellis on woodward...all way less expensive than most places...xo
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, thanks for all the awesome tips!!! I'm putting them all on my list!! <3
Delete