The beginning of sharing his legacy.

Guys.  I am truly excited about some awesome things that are happening over here.  Before I dive into what's going on, let me share a little backstory...

Shortly after Emmett passed, I immediately knew Ryan and I were meant to use our circumstances for the good of others, as much as possible.  It's almost funny, how something so tragic can change us permanently.  I feel like since this happened to us, it's almost our responsibility to do what we can for others.  Emmett changed our lives in such a beautiful, wonderful way.  We never thought or dreamt that we would experience losing him so tragically or at all.  Since that happened, we've realized that we have so much to give back, and that his life has taught us a deeper meaning of loving others.

With that, I am thrilled to give you a little bit of info about what I've been working on.  I've had so many thoughts over these past nearly six months (can you believe it's only/already been six months?), and last weekend, things really started to take shape once I was motivated by my aunts to take action.

I've said it over and over to several people around us, I really feel like I want to give back.  I constantly tell Mary, my favorite midwife in the whole world (ha), I just want to wrap my arms around anyone experiencing this kind of loss.  To lose your child is unthinkable, and you shouldn't have to go through it alone.  We were insanely blessed with an amazing support system, and I know not everyone has that.

If I could, I would do everything in my power to touch every area of infant loss.  I've made so many lists this week, trying to determine where to start, and after chatting with Mary this afternoon, I think I finally have some good beginning steps.  My dream and goal is to start a nonprofit organization that provides several different things, concentrating on supporting those who have to experience infant loss in whatever capacity (stillbirth, illness, etc).  I have a few starter goals, like making this thing legitimate, as well as raising funds to provide the hospital here in town with a CuddleCot (more on those thoughts later).  Tonight, I begin researching the process of becoming a doula, specifically one that specializes in bereavement, as I want to be as hands-on as possible for women like myself.

I have so much more I want to say about all of this, but as it is just the beginning, and this doesn't even have an official name yet, I'll leave it at that.  I'm excited to begin this next journey, even though it's still a little painful.  I am thankful that God has been able to use Emmett in so many ways already, and I know He has so much more in store for us, through the legacy of our sweet, little baby.

...

Also, this is a shameless request - if any of you reading have any nonprofit experience, specifically in the state of Michigan (I'll hear others as well though!), please, please, PLEASE email me!  This is all so new for me.  I'm trying to figure out my beginning steps of establishing the organization and making everything legal, because I want people to be able to have somewhere legitimate to donate :) Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment